torsdag 8. november 2007

news of the world (read all about it)

hey hey my my

Allow me to fill in a bit on happenings lately.
Last Thursday SUSTers went out on their regional homestays. They spent a long weekend with a family living in regional Norway. One of the hosts was a woman who I stayed with two years ago, Debbie. She invited me out on Thursday evening for dinner with her two SUSTers and a few friends. She only lives 30 minutes away by train, so it was very possible. And it was very fun! We went hiking for an hour and a half, sat in a sauna, had a nice big meal, engaging in decent convo. Her guests were a bit of the stiff academics, but it was still alright. It was just nice to get out and be cared after, if only for a bit. I took the train home that night.

Last friday I hung out with Knut Erik. It had been about a month, what with all my travels. It was good to hangout, drink some beer and gin, talk about politics and love and music. He lived in Birmingham for a while a couple years ago and has some interesting thoughts about american society and race relations. Just good convo, y'know.

The rest of the weekend was pretty quiet, which I was happy about considering three nights of going around a bit. I was TIRED!

I think the early night is starting to affect me. The sun rises around 8:30 and sets around 4, I would say. My kind mum got me a blue lamp as a going away present. I used it a couple times but have lent it to a student who is in much rougher shape. Looking forward to getting it back in three weeks!

That's right! Three weeks! Thats all thats left in SUST 07. It is an early end, but we began early too. Official last day of class is Wednesday, November 28th. And only two full weeks of class left, really. The semester has flown by. As teachers, we have felt like it has gotten away from us, but we also recognize there has been a lot of growth and learning over the course of the semester. That is all I will comment on publicly, except to say that today was one of our best days, in my opinion, as a class.

Last night I went to a show! It was terrible! Disappointing! I haven't been to too much live music here. There were a few shows that looked good, but I had time conflicts or just never got around to getting tickets. So, last night I went on a limb and went to see Liars. They had gotten a good review on pitchfork. I downloaded their album but didn't care for it much, honestly. still, I hadn't been to a show in a while and there isn't anything else I'm interested in for a few weeks. So I took a chance hoping for the best.
It was bad. Just loud noise without much rhythm. Lead singer was annoying. I went with Paul, and we left early. Even the opener sucked. Very disappointing, but hey, not every show can rock.
In about four weeks there are a couple shows I wanna go to: Mos Def and The National. Hopefully I'll get off my butt and get some tickets!

Off Butt!

1 kommentar:

Blumaa sa...

it's better to burn out than to fade away.