fredag 30. november 2007

Skate Geekout: Marc Johnson



Oh yes. A few years ago I got a skate video called Modus Operandi. There was a part in there by Marc Johnson that straight up blew me away. You don't have to watch all the videos I'm going to post, but the first minute of this video is definitely worth your time.



This video also introduced me to Built to Spill. I still love this song! Marc's parts have solid music, which is definitely important to building a quality vid part.

Marc skates with an incredibly smooth style while being truly innovative. When this part came out, just about everyone was skating big handrails and jumping down stairs. Marc did a little bit of this, but it was everything else that impressed me. Just a huge bag of tricks that he made look good.
Personality matters a lot when in skateboarding. I liked Marc, not just his skating. He is a bit of a flamboyant goofball at times, yet is shy to fame and seems fairly intelligent.


And then there were my Marc Johnson Emericas. These were probably my favorite skate shoes ever. They lasted a hell of a long time and had ridiculously good feel.

After Modus Marc became my favorite skater. He released a couple bro videos, Tilt Mode and Man Down, and then helped start Enjoi Skateboards with most of that crew. Enjoi has ridiculously absurd ads that are not about skateboarding at all. Good company.




Not long after helping to start Enjoi, Marc left to join the Chocolate Skateboards. Chocolate is sister company to the Girl Skateboarding Co. The two companies and their teams are widely considered among the best in the world. Their videos have rocked my world. Marc had a part in Girl's 2003 video Yeah Right.



More recently Marc has been working on his video part for his new shoe sponsor, Lakai Footwear. Lakai has been working on the Fully Flared video for the last four years, and it is the most highly anticipated skate video in years. Among a number of skate legends, including Eric Koston, Mike Carroll, and the return of Guy Mariano, Marc got the coveted last video part. The video premiered less than two weeks ago and hasn't been released to stores yet.

Even so, everyone in the skate community is talking about Marc's part. And today it was announced that he was awarded Thrasher Magazine's Skater of the Year award. Thrasher's SOTY is skateboarding's ultimate recognition.

2 kommentarer:

momo sa...

Right on Yeah Right! By far the best skate video I have EVER seen. I could watch it again and again. And I think that says a lot coming from a girl who doesn't skate. Amazing.

cate sa...

and looooooooooove. love will tear us apart. again.