fredag 8. februar 2008

Why Hil

I suppose I should explain why I went Hillary. Again, I should have done this before that big ol' Tuesday. Oh well, better late than never? This may not be terribly well organized. My reasons are cumulative. I also want to hear your reasons for choosing. Write them in the comments or e-mail me.

First of all: Hillary is to the left of Obama. This comes as a surprise to most Obama supporters, but when you get into the grit of the policies its true. In addition, Obama discusses the need to work together across party lines. This means as President he would be more willing to compromise an already centrist position. In truth, if you take away the charisma and Iraq then as a politician Obama closely resembles Joe Lieberman. I don't want a President like that.

There is another reason I will mention Lieberman. I remember when Obama had his keynote address at the 2004 DNC. It blew me away! I was so so excited and started envisioning Obama in 2012 or 2016. I went out and read his first book and fell in love with him, more or less. And then I started following his career in the Senate. What a disappointment...

He played it so safe! He wasn't the progressive ideal I envisioned him to be. He kept quiet for the most part and worked a bit on congressional ethics issues. He did nothing to set himself apart except for one thing: Joe Lieberman became his mentor. Yup. The two worked closely together for years and Obama was a strong supporter of his in the 2006 Senatorial campaign that saw Joe run as an independent versus a progressive left movement to oust him.


It is understandable when many folks argue that there are no significant differences in the policies of Hillary and Obama. But thats not entirely true. There are differences and I support HRC in most of them.

The most significant difference that is sited is in health care. Obama's health care plan would cover about 20 million less people that Hillary's. If that is not significant than I don't know what is. Hillary's ensures everyone is covered. It is not truly a universal single payer system that I'd like to see, but it does provide for universal coverage.

There are other differences as well. Education is incredibly important to me and a huge issue for me is getting rid of No Child Left Behind. NCLB is one of the most poorly crafted pieces of legislation I've ever seen. It is an absolutely terrible law, even if it is "fully funded." I don't agree with its goals or methods. I want it off the damn books. Hillary agrees. Obama does not.

Another issue I care deeply about is immigration reform. Last year at Jane Addams School I did some work on the USCIS fee changes. Obama was co-author of a bill to change the structuring of the fee increases. This was incredibly important to me and was the most important thing he did as Senator, in my eyes. However, Hillary goes further by supporting the DREAM Act. For the future of immigrants and accepting immigrants into our society as equals, the DREAM Act is a far more important piece of legislation.

I care deeply about human rights, and not just in matters of foreign policy but in how we live in the United States. I've never heard Obama mention HR and he does not mention it in his FP platform. Clinton doesn't note it on her website either, but in the mid-90s she gave that incredible and important speech in China about women's rights being human rights. It was big.

In all of the above issues that are very imporant to me Hillary is to the left of Obama.
Obama speaks significantly about service, and I really like how it is a central piece of his campaign. He would increase the size of Americorps, Peacecorps, and like organizations. Yet there is a problem here: currently not all Americorps positions can be filled. This is primarily because the positions don't pay enough. Increasingly it is only middle and upper class individuals can participate in these programs, thereby reinforcing twisted notions of charitable volunteerism rather than folks working together to solve their collective problems. Clinton provides the material opportunity for all to participate in Americorps by doubling the size of the college scholarship.

There is one significant matter that Obama speaks of that I haven't heard Clinton on as much. That is poverty (and naming it as such), especially combatting concentrated poverty. Yet Clinton's plans on health care and education will have a more significant impact on the daily life and future of families living with poverty.
With this issue, Obama's appears more to the Left but when you closely examine the overall thrust of their policies and would they would impact American life, it is clear that Hillary Clinton's policies are more progressive and lefty.


There is an elephant in the room. Iraq.
Now, I don't have the solution to Iraq. You'd have to ask the Iraqi people that, and I haven't spoken to many Iraqis (though I have spoken with some). I've never supported the war in Iraq, just as Obama has not and unlike Hillary. When I look at their two plans on the future in Iraq, the only significant difference I see is that Hillary would work with the UN. This is something I have been advocating for several years.


There are other significant pieces that are central to both campaigns: the movement for Obama, political culture, and Hillary's experience.
I understand and support the excitement for Obama. It is an excitement that I have felt, and then lost when I saw through the rhetoric to the practice and policies. This is the first time that many folks, especially young adults, have felt excited and passionate for politics. It is a powerful feeling to be a part of a movement. I respect that. Yet I am surprised when those inside a movement which calls for unity, dialogue, and reaching across party lines cannot understand why I would not agree with their choice for the Democratic nomination and would choose rather to attack my choice rather than learn why I would make it. I would ask: What is the movement for? If it is only a movement for one person, than it is meaningless.

Visions of change are everywhere. Yet, what is the change? I live change everyday in my work and approach to the world, this is the true way to change society. Obama is one person, the problems in our society are much deeper than that. There are structural issues that need be changed that would require most of society, both parties and some constitutional amendments. Obama as president would not revolutionize our way of doing politics, indeed the election of any one person is not enough. I support the creation of a consensus based democratic culture, it is a culture that exists in Scandinavia and I find it refreshing and incredible. Yet the reason it exists here is not because of one politician, it is because it is built into the structure of politics here. This is not the case in the the structure of American politics. Until this structure is changed, we are limited in our capacity to build consensus politics.

I will admit the above section is the weakest of my arguments. After all, no one gets exited about Hillary and changing society in the way they do for Obama. He motivates people in an incredible way. It is just that his vision doesn't do it for me.

However, I believe Hillary's pragmatic approach to doing politics within the American system would do more to positively change the everyday living conditions of Americans. I imagine Obama would more readily jettison his proposals in order to reach an agreement. I need someone to stand up and fight for change, and it is the only way change has been achieved in the United States. Hillary has an incredibly record of work and concrete achievements, much more so than Obama. I cannot disregard this proven record of experience.

There are charges of cronyism within the Clinton camp. It is likely that many of the folks that were part of the 1990's Bill Clinton team would be back again. Personally, I only hope this happens. The Bill Clinton Administration is the second greatest of the 20th century, behind only FDR's. We would all be better off if a good chunk of that group came back again. I'll admit two mistakes of that era: the 1995 welfare reform was terrible for working families and NAFTA should have included provisions for protection of the environment, labour rights, and re-education programs. As for welfare reform, it can be argued that we should be thankful the reform wasn't worse than it was considering a strongly Republican Congress. The NAFTA concerns largely came into the national consciousness post-NAFTA, so perhaps we shouldn't be too critical for it not being included then.

Hillary's team, including these 90s holdovers, have the experience and power to deal with the incredible challenges of society today. Iraq is fucked. Our economy is not as strong or healthy as it could be, and there is increasing inequality. Don't even get me started on environmental challenges. I want nose-to-the-grindstone to get these things taken care of, and it will not be pretty it will be ugly. But I trust an HRC admin to achieve more that I can support than an Obama admin.

Part of this is due to his lack of experience. And yes, he does lack experience. The only things he has run (that I am aware of) have been the Harvard Law Review, a small community organizing operation in Chicago, and a congressional ethics committee. He lacks significant national and international political experience, and I don't know if he can handle (or more significantly HOW he would handle) today's challenges. I always imagined him running in 2012 or 2016 once he was more seasoned.

It is argued that JFK also lacked experience. This isn't true to the same extent as Obama. Indeed, JFK had been a leading figure in congress for over a decade and grew up in politics. I would also note, that I am not inspired by JFK's presidency as thus comparisons to him do not impress me. JFK fucked up with the Bay of Pigs, he started the war in Vietnam, and didn't do anything for civil rights (unlike his brother). The only thing he did (that I am aware of) that I support was start the Peace Corps (an institution which has been critiqued for neo-colonialist aspects but that I still support). LBJ was the Dem. president who brought forth the great Lefty victories of the 1960s (although his great failure was getting us further involved in 'Nam).


It is argued that Hillary is less electable than Obama. I argue this is believed by those who listen to a right-wing smear campaign more than anything else. Hillary achieved incredible electoral victories in New York in 2000 and 2006. These victories were large and were achieved through capturing the left, independents, AND moderate Republicans. Indeed she even had upstate New York voting for her, a well known bastion of Republicanism. She has proved that she can win over everyone. So has Obama, who won a ridiculous margin in 2004 to get into the Senate. He also faced no significant opposition from the Right.

McCain appears to have solidified the Republican nomination. I believe an Clinton ticket, with Obama as VP, has the strongest chance of beating him. For a long time I have maintained that anyone that the Dems put up can beat anyone the GOP puts up in 2008. The only matchup which concerns me is Obama v. McCain. McCain does EXTREMELY well with independents, which is Obama's target voter. It is possible that Obama will be able to motivate enough voters to the polls, especially as McCain will find it difficult to get the conservative and evangelical bases out, but I would bet McCain wins more independents than Obama. Head to head I think Obama would more or less be schooled. Hillary stands a stronger chance head to head through the support of more women, Hispanics, and Bill's popularity among Black Americans. Most charges of Hillary being such a polarizing figure are not accurate and once folks take an good look at her many support her (or at least aren't freaked out). The polarizing stuff has been a line of the far-right for years and seems to now be a self-fulfilling prophecy. A dream ticket of mine is Clinton-Obama. With Obama's movement Clinton would be a shoo in. And I am convinced that she would make a better president than Obama.


On the more disturbing side that should cause us to pause and reflect, I've heard several folks compare Obama to the left's or middle's GWB. There are similarities in political stylings. GWB won the White House through a similar popular movement supported by evangelicals (compared to Obama's "progressives"). GWB, if you remember, came to office with little experience but much discussion of the need for unity and compassionate conservatism. "I'm a uniter, not a divider." Obama is compassionate neo-liberalism with similar discussion of the need for unity. Also note that many during the 2000 campaign argued there were little differences between the policies of Gore and Bush, similar to today and Obama v. Clinton. W also campaigned vigorously against the Clinton political machinations and 90's politics culture while arguing that he would bring ethics back into politics so we could have a white house and president we could be proud of. This paragraph is inarguably the most upsetting I've written. Feel free to give me hell, but consider what I wrote.

So. Those are the reasons why I put a photo of Hillary on this blog. Again, I want to be in dialogue with those who want to discuss. E-mail me or write a comment about YOUR reasons!

5 kommentarer:

Brianna sa...

Did you like Edwards? From everything you wrote that you care about...to *me* it sounds like you'd like him even more than Hil.

and for the record: I'd like to not be included in you

Brianna sa...

to finish...
to finish...
I don't wanna be included in yer whole swept-up-by-rhetoric and ignoring policy stances/ Senate records For Obama ilk you mention! It ain’t me, babe.(and it ain’t a hell of a lot of the people I speak to about him. My friend Paul worked as a journalist on Capital Hill for a year. He knows his shit. He gave me my first Obama button over a year ago.)

I read. I listen. I pay attention. I'm going with my brain and my heart.

and, I also strongly disagree with this: "It is argued that Hillary is less electable than Obama. I argue this is believed by those who listen to a right-wing smear campaign more than anything else"

I base my view on her (lack of) electability from my very own view of her and the plethora of (indie) bloggers, columnists, pundits, tv I believe in, magazine writers I trust, people-questioned-on-the-street, co-workers, friends, et. al. No Rush, no Bill O, nope.

another HUGE point for me. You could have the most stunning experience and policy vision on the planet, but if you're going to face (unjust) opposition in Washington just cuz (some, a big enough amount of)people (unjustly) hate you, it doesn't matter too much. How can you push things through and get things done? Let alone get elected in the first place.

There's more...but I am at work. Oy.

Even though I thoroughly disagree with you on a lot of points...Well said, Phil!

Phil sa...

Yeah, I'll admit I came off harshly on Obama and his supporters. I guess 'cause I feel harshed on by others. And by others and the 'you' I don't mean to point you out or make you feel like you're a part of that in any way. These are the impressions I've gotten from many conversations with many different folks, conversations that I haven't really had with you I might add.

A lot of Obama supporters do really know their stuff. Hell, I was an Obama supporter for a long time and only recently decided to throw behind Hillary. There is something incredibly powerful and important about being part of a movement for change, even if that change is so slimly defined.

I ask nothing less of anyone that they vote with their brain and their heart. If everyone did so, no matter who they voted for, we would all be better off.

And yeah, my electability argument isn't very strong. The broad consensus reflects what you wrote, but the roots of that consensus also lies within the right. Her polarizing status originally came out of her being a strong woman fighting for a universal health care system. Of course I'm not strong on that period of US politics, so I may have it wrong but that is my understanding. From that basis it has grown to where it is consensus among everyone, perhaps from some evidence I am not aware of. I argued the polarizing thing for a long time until this election cycle came in, but then I took a look and was impressed with her as a politician and with what she did in and for New York.

Your point about the need to be agreeable in order to pass legislation is interesting. But, Obama's policies don't do enough now. Do you think they will go farther once he is in office? Hillary would fight for it and her team would be able to get what they can through. American politics is not about compromise, it is a winner take all system. Compromise does exist because of the many levels of power, but I need to see a further left position from the get go for me to support Obama.

Another note: what do we ask from our President? Should the President be a political leader or a manager of government? Obama has demonstrated a greater capability as a political leader, defined as someone who can motivate people behind his/her political vision. I think what is more important for our President now is someone who can make government work. Clinton would be better in this role.

Brianna sa...

got a good one for you:
---------
February 13, 2008
Op-Ed Columnist
A Flawed Feminist Test
By MAUREEN DOWD
WASHINGTON

Russell Berman, a young reporter for The New York Sun, trailed Bill Clinton around Maryland all day Sunday. The former president was on his best behavior, irritating the smattering of press.

After Bill’s last speech at Leisure World retirement community in Silver Spring, Berman interviewed two women in the audience.

Elaine Sirkis, 77, an Obama supporter, confided that she just isn’t sure she’s ready for a woman president. Betty Conway, 83, a Hillary supporter, confided that she just isn’t sure she’s ready for a black president.

As Conway walked away, Sirkis smiled sheepishly. “I’m sorry,” she told Berman sweetly about her friend. “She’s a bigot.”

We’re not just in the most vertiginous election of our lives. We’re in another national seminar on gender and race that is teaching us about who we are as we figure out what we want America to be.

It’s not yet clear which prejudice will infect the presidential contest more — misogyny or racism.

Many women I talk to, even those who aren’t particularly fond of Hillary, feel empathy for her, knowing that any woman in a world dominated by men has to walk a tightrope between femininity and masculinity, strength and vulnerability.

They see double standards they hate — when male reporters described Hillary’s laugh as “a cackle” or her voice as “grating,” when Rush Limbaugh goes off on her wrinkles or when male pundits seem gleeful to write her political obituary. Several women I know, who argue with their husbands about Hillary, refer with a shudder to the “Kill the Witch” syndrome.

In a webcast, prestidigitator Penn Jillette talks about a joke he has begun telling in his show. He thinks the thunderous reaction it gets from audiences shows that Hillary no longer has a shot.

The joke goes: “Obama is just creaming Hillary. You know, all these primaries, you know. And Hillary says it’s not fair, because they’re being held in February, and February is Black History Month. And unfortunately for Hillary, there’s no White Bitch Month.”

Of course, jokes like that — even Jillette admits it’s offensive — are exactly what may give Hillary a shot. When the usually invulnerable Hillary seems vulnerable, many women, even ones who don’t want her to win, cringe at the idea of seeing her publicly humiliated — again.

And since women — and some men — tend to be more protective when she is down, it is impossible to rule out a rally, especially if voters start to see Obama, after his eight-contest rout, as that maddening archetypal figure: the glib golden boy who slides through on charm and a smile.

Those close to Hillary say she’s feeling blue. It’s an unbearable twist of fate to spend all those years in the shadow of one Secretariat, only to have another gallop past while you’re plodding toward the finish line.

I know that the attacks against powerful women can be harsh and personal and unfair, enough to make anyone cry.

But Hillary is not the best test case for women. We’ll never know how much of the backlash is because she’s a woman or because she’s this woman or because of the ick factor of returning to the old Clinton dysfunction.

While Obama aims to transcend race, Hillary often aims to use gender to her advantage, or to excuse mistakes. In 1994, after her intransigence and secrecy-doomed health care plan, she told The Wall Street Journal that she was “a gender Rorschach test.”

“If somebody has a female boss for the first time, and they’ve never experienced that,” she said, “well, maybe they can’t take out their hostility against her so they turn it on me.”

As a possible first Madame President, Hillary is a flawed science experiment because you can’t take Bill out of the equation. Her story is wrapped up in her marriage, and her marriage is wrapped up in a series of unappetizing compromises, arrangements and dependencies.

Instead of carving out a separate identity for herself, she has become more entwined with Bill. She is running bolstered by his record and his muscle. She touts her experience as first lady, even though her judgment during those years on issue after issue was poor. She says she’s learned from her mistakes, but that’s not a compelling pitch.

As a senator, she was not a leading voice on important issues, and her Iraq vote was about her political viability.

She told New York magazine’s John Heilemann that before Iowa taught her that she had to show her soft side, “I really believed I had to prove in this race from the very beginning that a woman could be president and a woman could be commander in chief. I thought that was my primary mission.”

If Hillary fails, it will be her failure, not ours.

Brianna sa...

I just really love Dowd, always, yes. But, the graph about how people can only see her "wrapped up" in all that past (her husband's, mainly) baggage--it's unavoidable.