søndag 20. januar 2008

Birawer

I'm sure most of you know this guy, but I felt like posting about him anyway. I first noticed Michael Birawer's work a couple years ago when I was working at Wilson Library, we had a bunch of prints of a piece he did in Chicago around that were supposed to be trashed. Unfortunately, I kept putting off actually grabbing one so I never got a copy. Still, his style immediately stood out for me.


Around the same period I visited a couple of friends in their new home. My former roommate Mitch had bought a house in Highland and another former Terrace resident who I had become friends with, Cole, had moved in with him. Cole had a couple framed prints of Birawer's work. They depicted a vibrant and alive city that I was slowly becoming intimate with. Below is one of those prints Cole had, of a seemingly dancing Hennepin Ave bridge.


When Cate was in town a few weeks ago we were somehow inspired to check out his website, and we were pleasantly surprised by his numerous pieces of the Twin Cities, including some pieces of the Bryant Lake Bowl, Al's Breakfast, the Triple Rock, and that place where I last puked while celebrating my 21st birthday, aka Liquor Lyle's. Below is a small selection:

I would have liked to have posted more, but unfortunately many of the images on Birawer's site I was unable to repost here. I recommend his website: http://www.michaelbirawerart.com

There are certainly some connections to be made between my appreciation of Birawer and Turman and my (admitted) glorification of the Twin Cities while I am away. Still, I liked their stuff before they were in a position to renew a homesickness bug. God, and then there is my digging this fall on The Hold Steady. And when I first really got into The Replacements it was during my first stint here in '05. It all comes back to mpls, doesn't it?


UPDATE: Okay, comments bring to my attention things. These things are that both Minnesota artists I've posted about were personally known by Julia. Props for you know and are known.
Also, Cate mentioned Cole's tattoo which I had no knowledge of, but his facebook page shows this.
B.A.D.A.S.S.

2 kommentarer:

cate sa...

uh, this post is incomplete without a photo of cole's tattoo!

Julia Gulia sa...

He used to be my next door neighbor when I lived in the artist co-op in St. Paul. This was before he was famous though. I with I had known at the time.