fredag 25. januar 2008

Travel Bug

One of the good things about being here is the opportunity to travel around Europe. Its a very good thing, really. Being in such a northern part of Europe that is so expensive restricts some of my possibilities, but I have still been able to take advantage of my situation. In the nearly six (6!) months I've been here I've been to Stockholm twice and Copenhagen three times as well as going to Vienna and Prague. In April I'll be traveling with my class for two weeks in Poland, specifically to Krakow and Warsaw. In May my mom and sister are visiting, which will take me on weekend trips to Copenhagen and Bergen. I also have the goal to take weekends in Gothenburg (possibly in February) and Trondheim (perhaps May?). And today I just finished booking a trip over my spring break in March.

I had been going back and forth in my head about where I wanted to go for break. I had wanted to visit Rome and Istanbul while I was here, but the tickets were too much. A recent interest in Barcelona was too expensive to follow up on. It was tempting to go back to Copenhagen, I'll admit. I thought about Scotland, getting all up in some whiskeys. I considered getting to know Amsterdam better, as I'd only spent one day there two years ago. It was my last day in Europe and I was burnt out, sick, exhausted, and stoned. I didn't like it too much. Before going to the Netherlands I spent two whirlwind days in Berlin. I liked it quite a bit, surely aided by my traveling with Anne. But I wished I had spent more time there. It is a huge city and I didn't get the chance to really know it. 

After looking at all my options I found super cheap plane tickets and a cheap good hostel. I'll be gone not too long, only March 17 to 21st, but my transportation AND lodging is only costing a total of 1100 kr. Thats $200, a goddamn steal in these parts.

Oh yeah, my destination? BERLIN

I just found in my old blog this travelogue:
"so berlin i loved. its a true metropolis, reminded me of the other great cities that seem to have some undefinable thing, cities whose scope can't really be understood. for me thus far i think new york. london, montreal, and berlin have had that. something new is always bubbling up, there is constant redefinition.
"but berlin! we stayed in east berlin, which i'm very happy about. i loved the area, it was hip, cheap, non-corporate, there was something going on. and i loved all the street-art (grafitti) throughout the city! lots of fun that..."

I went on of course, but just listing places we visited with a reflection on my social issues in meeting groups of new folks. I'll spare you. 

2 kommentarer:

Brianna sa...

Trondheim! that's where my great-grandma was from! Berlin! I loved Berlin! so excited for you...and me...we're going to Ireland in March!

sorry for all the !!! how obnoxious.

Julia Gulia sa...

Ah, the possibilities are endless. I've heard great things about Scotland (and the scotches, natch), but it seems like Berlin will also be great.

(There seems to be no real point to this comment.)