mandag 14. januar 2008

another havel quote, movies, books

"The question of whether one or several political parties are in power, and how these parties define and label themselves, is of far less importance than the question of whether or not it is possible to live like a human being. To shed the burden of traditional political categories and habits and open oneself up fully to the world of human existence and then to draw political conclusions only after having analysed it: this is not only politically more realistic but at the same time, from the point of view of an 'ideal state of affairs', politically more promising as well. A genuine, profound and lasting change for the better... can no longer result from the victory (were such a victory possible) of any particular traditional political conception. More than ever before, such a change will have to derive from human existence, from the fundamental reconstitution of the position of people in the world, their relationships to themselves and to each other, and to the universe. If a better economic or political model is to be created, than perhaps more than ever before it must derive from profound existential and moral changes in society."
- This time from "The Power of the Powerless."


Back to work today, though not much of a grind. Just a few things to prepare for DSE. Cate is gone. Amanda and Neal are gone. Oh lonely wolf.

It was a movie weekend. I finally started downloading movies, eh. Goodfellas, The Color of Money, and Casablanca were the first three. But now I've gone crazy with The Fly and Eraserhead.
I'm reaching a maximum point of grossed out insanity, and I need a dose of sugarcoated Hollywood. Spiderman here I come.

In the last few weeks I read Robertson Davies's Deptford Trilogy, the new book on the Mats by Jim Walsh, Mark Twain's Conneticut Yankee, Trinity by Leon Uris, and The Tender Bar by J.R. Moehringer. Hopefully I'll finish the Havel soon. I picked up a few things at the library today: The Great Gatsby, Capote's In Cold Blood, and The Wapshot Chronicle by John Cheever. I've also had Teaching Community by bell hooks sitting around for a bit so maybe I'll work on that.

What, you expected reviews or something?


UPDATE: The version of Spiderman I downloaded was in a weird language. So I watched Elephant Man. I do not recommend to David Lynch movies in one day. I feel crazeee!

2 kommentarer:

cate sa...

david lynch is dangerous. just imagine what it's like inside his head every day.

Blumaa sa...

actually, david lynch is a Transcendental Meditator. He comes to Fairfield (my hometown) a lot. My brother has had lunch with him. I've met him twice.