mandag 3. mars 2008

Blind Opportunity

Less than three months left folks! Is it too soon for the countdown to begin? Cate and I have already talked about what we're gonna do when I get back. A Sunday evening grill out is in the plans so mark those calendars!

I'm feeling good here! Been out skateboarding again, just cruisin the city and feeling out different spots I've seen over the past year. I tried to go up to a miniramp near another student village, but the ramp was still iced over. Yikes!

I was completely broke over the weekend, but I still managed a few drinks and a few smokes with the help of some friends. Friday night I kicked it with the roommates Jan and Ulla, as well as a few of Jan's friends from out of town. Saturday night went to Knut Erik's for some homemade wine and a couple games of chess. I used to play chess a fair amount when I was a kid, but its been a few years since I played even semi-regularly. So I was quite pleased and surprised when I actually won a game. yahoo

Over the weekend I also watched an excellent polish film, Blind Chance. It was originally made in 1981, but censorship delayed its widespread release until 1986. It presents three scenarios of the same young medical student, all depending on the circumstances around catching a train to Warsaw. If he catches the train he becomes a Communist party member. The second scenario has him missing the train, then getting into a scuffle with a police officer. During his subsequent jail time he becomes connected with the dissident movement. In the final scenario he misses the train, and returns to his studies and his girlfriend who he soon marries. He becomes a successful doctor who is apolitical. The film was shot beautifully and the acting is excellent. I highly recommend this flick!

We are planning on showing it in class next week. I was initially reluctant actually. It creates an excellent picture of Poland under communism in the late 1970's-early 1980's, but I was worried that the random chance of the main character's vocation would rob our students of a sense of agency over their own lives and their own ability to create change. Still this was precisely representative of life in Poland during that period, and it could be a perfect reminder of the opportunities our students have in their own lives. It was under that reasoning that I'm quite excited for the class to watch it.

But that is next week! Right now we are covering Norwegian political parties and institutions and the Norwegian relationship with the EU. This afternoon we visited Stortinget for a guided tour and discussion. Stortinget literally translates as "The Big Thing," but is also known as the parliament. Oh those Norwegians...they are so cute and silly.

2 kommentarer:

Cate sa...

Yes... June 1st. BBQ. Jet-lagged Phil. Be there!

Anne sa...

Definitely not too soon to count down to summer...
53 school days left!