onsdag 3. oktober 2007

More from Vienna

Okay, I accidently deleted the blogpost I was working on. I HATE that.

I've been in Vienna for 48 hours or so now. I've got a bit of a feel for the place, more so than the avg. tourist I hope. It is difficult without a guidebook (or guide for that matter) to know where to go and what to skip. I got drawn in to a couple things I maybe could done without. The Leopold Museum for one. I didn't go to a couple things I wish I had: like the KunstHistoireMuseum or whatever it is called. Still, I think I did well for myself. I made it to the PalmHaus and Schloss Schönbrün. I checked out the major churches, palaces, and sights (I think). I never found "the hip neighborhood", which is a bummer. I usually trz to hang out in that kinda district anztime I visit a citz. Just have a coffee and browse through some book or record stores. Didn't see it :(

I made it to the Hundertwasser House, which was fucking awesome. So was the KunstHausWien, which was mostly dedicated to the Hundertwasser. I am now a fan.


Can you blame me? That is awesome! I am really looking forward to posting photos up of my visits there. I heard of Hundertwasser through Russ, ye olde stepe-dadde. I can see connections between their ceramics and approach to house renovating. If any of you made it to the studio in wisconsin, you especially know what I'm talking about.

I'm looking forward to Prague. I take the train tomorrow at 1:33. Just under 4 hour trip. That'll be nice, and will round out the trains, planes, and automobiles randomness that is going on. I need a bit of a travel/rest day anyhoo. My sickness is mostlz gone. It was just a sore throat and general exhaustion. But my knee really does need some rest! I keep worrying it will flame up really bad while I'm travelling. My only insurance coverage right now is under the Norwegian National Health Insurance Scheme, and I'm fairlz sure it would not cover expenses here (even if I wanted to risk the Austrian or Czech medical systems!).

I kinda dislike travelling solo! I really wish Cate was here. My hostel is fairly big. I've met a few folks, but I'm still kinda inward when I meet new folks. Plus, I don't meet new folks very easily! Maybe I look off-putting or threatening? I blame the beard!

Always the beard!
More thoughts about Vienna:
I think Satan would like it here. There is something about its aristocratic air combined with the haute couture just barely hiding what I imagine to be an extremely seedy underbelly (but an underbelly I haven't really seen!). Vienna makes me think of S&M. Or that Kubrick movie that sucked: Eyes Wide Shut!


Now you know: Vienna=S&M=bad Kubrick

1 kommentar:

Anne sa...

Wein was possibly my favorite art city, so you saw the important parts in my opinion. Enjoy Prague, I can't wait to read about it :)