søndag 7. oktober 2007

'Mother Prague has cluthes'

Things I didn't do in Prague that I wish I had:
-Go out to the bars and clubs. There was one really cool bar that had like 7 rooms all splayed out in this cavernous underground setting. I just walked through, couldn't pull myself to a solo beer. There is also this famous 5 story club that I was supposed to go to last night. I did not.
-I didn't really find the 'alternative' prague I was looking for. I blame lack of guidebook.
-Walk into St. Nicholosas' Church. It is supposed to be awesome. The one time I walked by I didn't go in, and I never came that direction again.
-Learn more about the history of Prague Castle. This didn't happen beause I didn't want to pony up the 300 ck for a ticket. Cheapskate!

Other notes:
-Some Americans here when they first met me thought I was European, because of how I talk.
-My first day here I went to a traditional czech restaurant. The tables there were built the exact same way as the desk/table I use at home. The table I use was made by Russ's father. I ended up thinking about Bohemian settlers in the midwest, partly also because I've been reading Willa Cather's My Antonia. It was a pleasurable read that made me feel warm. That's all I can say to recommend it, some will find it dull.
-I've been spending a lot of time here in Prague thinking about societal collapse. Perhaps it is because of reflections on the collapse of Sovietism. 'Freedom' came where there was none. I want to ask people whether they are happy with their capitalist Czech Rep. Is that rude? I suppose I think about it strangely, because of thinking about civilizational collapse and environmental damage. We have freedom for individuals (certainly much more so now than under the long arm of Soviet rule, even if you consider some of the different freedoms Communism championed). So freedom in relationships with others. But what about our relationship with nature? And there is our relationship with humans who are dying from lack of medicine, water, food, safety, and so many of the other things we could lessen if we tried (or cared). I am stuck on what is good, what is the way forward to sustainable existence where people can be creative and free and live with love in their hearts. Is it possible for us to create this condition? Will be have societal collapse first? In the process of trying to create this new society within the shell of the old, will new forms of oppression be created (as happened with the Reds)?
-I need a vacation from my vacation.
-I read Prachet and Gaiman's Good Omens on the way to Vienna. Very reminiscent of Gaiman's American Gods and Anasazi Boys,. They are all page turners and highly recommended by me. Good Omens was an excellent vacation book. I got lost in it, instead of feeling shitty for a 4 hour layerover in Dusseldorf on my way to Vienna. In Vienna I was reading Chomsky's Hegemony or Survival . I still got a ways to go. What is with me and the downy clowny stuff? Cather has been a better fit, its all about the midwest prairie and a bunch of settlers. Those Bohemians I mentioned also provide a small flavor of the old Czech country.
-Being here and especially in Vienna, I've been reminded at how fit Norwegians and Scandinavians are.

On my way home tonight I was thinking about things that I like and dislike. How that changes over time and further develops. How some of my tastes are distinct. It started with thinking about my taste in 'art'.
I started to make a little list of things I like and dislike:

likes: Matisee, Hundertwasser, Rothko, Russian icons, cedar and maple trees, pine forests, small creeks, graffitti, the radical left, collective work, cozy cafes and good coffee, tasty suds, gardens for food or flowers, public transportation, unprententiousness, humility, David Bowie, beards, strong independent women, skateboarding, books, love, warm hugs and soft kisses, wood furniture, being comfortable, whiskey, white russians and hot toddies, fires, red wine with close friends, getting cozy under a blanket, sharing poetry outloud with others, deep greens and blues, Minneapolis, the West Side of St. Paul, the art farm, walking, iPod, playing hockey, learning, log cabins, urban neighborhoods, community, walks in the prairie, dogs and cats, Canada, pancakes, pita bread, Thai Tofu Dip, brick walls, the sun on my face, being warm in crisp weather, sweating

disikes: hostels full of loud and dull australians, chauvinists, racists, aristocrats of blood or wealth, experiencing Western Europe as a tourist, fear, aching knees, pollution, homophobia, xenophobia, empty e-mail boxes, being cold to the bone



-I have other things to share. This happens when you travel solo, I suppose. I figure two long posts in one day should be enough for you. You'll likely hear from me next when I'm back in Oslo.

P.S. Kafka wrote that quote about mother prague. Maybe my next post will talk about kafka? Oh, you know I know Kafka. I suck like that.

1 kommentar:

Erick sa...

Even before your train begins to slow down for the station, you just know you are going to fall in love with Prague. It's a city that doesn't dissemble - it wears its beauty on the outside. But that doesn't mean there aren't a lot of secrets to discover. This is a city that has known intense pain in our time. But the city and its people are resilient enough to shine through. Prague has so much to offer,cheap Prague hotels, great food and beer! Amazing architecture, wonderful people and clean quiet gardens. There really is something for everyone here, and I would visit again, but next time in the winter months!