tirsdag 2. oktober 2007

Wien!

I am in Vienna.

Do we in the States sleep on Vienna? Whenever folks talk about where they want to visit its Paris, London, Italy, Spain. Even Germany or Ireland. But Austria? Vienna? Why go there?

Man, do we sleep on Vienna. I think Vienna would be upset if it knew the extent. Vienna considers itself a cultural capital of the world (THE world capital of music) and capital of central europe. Its is architecturally beautiful. It has incredible churches and palaces. A beautiful and accessible Opera House. Many high quality theatres.

But its kinda old. Established. Prentious and too preoccupied with its own status as elite.

I make broad generalizations based on truly nothing, but I may just be right.
I could also be some American asshole trumping some bizarre Midwestern system of quasi analysis based on non-rigourous qualities like democratic, open, diverse, etc.

Am I already sick of travelling? I am tired here. And sick, I may add. And my fucking knees hurt from walking 6-7 hours daily.

Anyway, enough about me. I am deflating my own analysis by shifting lens from Vienna to I. Just like Vienna to do that.

I got in last night around 6. Checked into hostel. Grabbed a kebab and walked down Mariahilfe Strasse. It was beautiful! The street has all these trees that are going yellow, and under the street lamps and neon signs it was as a glowing golden canopy. Under this cover I strolled a hopping boutique lined street, punctuated by cafes and pizza shops.

Last night I got my closest thing to a good nights sleep since Friday. Spent the day walking around the Old Town checking out some of the major sights. I went to the Leopold Museum, lured in by its poster advertising Klimt masterpieces. I found masterpiece and was disappointed. Still, good walking. I took a prolonged break at a cafe housed in a greenhouse just off a royal garden. More walking brought me to Karls Church, which was beautiful (the nicest of the three I walked into today). Then I took the tram around the Ring, which limits the Old Town and highlights the sights. Tonight I hope to do the same, but with the city all lit up nice. Take in a couple sights all well lit, too. Not too major plans, I need to rest more. Break this cold or whatever I got and rest 'dem knees.

Tomorrow I hope for Schonbrun Palace (sp?), the big market, and Hundertvasser. Maybe a sachertorte, depending on my cash.

Ingen kommentarer: