torsdag 11. oktober 2007

Turman


Cate sent me a small package recently that included a recent issue of the Minneapolis Observer Quarterly. The MOQ used to be a free monthly but is now a paid quarterly, given as a gift from Cate's folks (thanks Rynda!). I like the rag, even though it makes me feel like an elite liberal. Its very MPR/Garisson Keiler/Kenwood in some ways.

In this most recent issue sent my direction, a Minneapolis based graphic artist, Adam Turman, was featured on the cover with a the above print based on the Gold Medal sign and building. I like Adam Turman, I dig his style. He did the main graphic for last summer's Stone Arch Bridge Festival, and I checked out his work at that fest. I kept him in mind, and a few weeks later saw some of his work at some concert/gallery showing. What stands out for me are his designs based on landmarks in Minneapolis.

He also does a fair amount of work based on voluptous women. I don't like these nearly as much, I find them kind of... pointlessly sexist maybe? (can sexism have a point?) Maybe I'm just bothered because a man is making prints of women that I think are both sexy and art. Am I such a prude as this? The women are as similarly artificial as barbie dolls. It bothers my inner feminist.


Despite these reservations about this part of his work, I still really dig on his stuff. Below are a few favorites of mine, and a couple of new prints that are just outstanding for many reasons.


The above is beloved.

This should hang on many a wall. The only thing that would make this better woulda been tattooed forearms. Ikke sant?

This is one of the best beers I've ever had AND it is from a local company. I've seen it rated one of the best in the world by some of those beer snob websites. And its called fucking Surly Darkness. How bad ass is that?

A different sort of Purple Pride.

4 kommentarer:

Brianna sa...

we own that Grainbelt poster!! it's in our kitchen. long live Premo!

Julia Gulia sa...

I wonder if this guy Adam Turman is my friend from high school Karen's brother, cuz that was his name. Hmm, interesting. Cool stuff!

cate sa...

yes, it is karen's bro. i read somewhere he's from edina. he was a tangents artist.

momo sa...

I like how the girl in front of first ave looks so clean cut and yet seems to be missing some teeth.