lørdag 11. august 2007

Two days

August 8th. Midnight.

I arrived in Oslo two days ago now, and my defining experience has been of jet lag. I have not slept more than four continuous hours since Saturday. Two things have made this transition difficult: not having drapes the first night and not having a functioning alarm clock. I've been sleeping 2-3 hours a night, but sleeping ~4 hours during the day. I am living by a series of naps. I must break this cycle. I will do it tomorrow, through my new alarm and a healthy helping of coffee to get me through the day.

Yesterday morning I went on a two hour walk up to and around Sognsvann, a nearby lake. I left at 5 am, not suprisingly I saw few people. It was lovely to get out in the morning air and see the lake. I also made a breakfast of wild raspberries growing along the shore. By the end of the walk I was a wreck, but it was worth it. I've had few chances to get out: I am either up in the middle of the night or working, it seems.

My first night in Oslo, after connecting with Tim and getting my room, I took the T-Bane into the city. Off at Jernbanetorget, got a kebab at Habibi, and a took a stroll down Karl Johans Gate. I detoured to the Rådhuset and the waterfront to enjoy a bar of Freia, chocolate of the (Norse) gods. It was a nice and simple way to reestablish myself. I am reminded of what Kara sai of her return trip: that she felt "Like a ghost." I am not quite that way. Looking back, my previous stay here is as a dream. When I returned to Minneapolis Ifound myself idealizing the TC more than Oslo. Indeed, compared to my SUST companions I told few stories of Norge. As I prepared to return I held few expectations, although I was aware that this time would be tremendously different in terms of my role and developing friendships. I can't relive SUST '05, not do I expect or want to.

I have only met one student thus far, and it was quite brief. I took the time today to read their application esays. Many of the students cited "Norwegian heritage" has their main reason to study here. This program will challenge these students to the core of their ethnic identity. We shall see how it shakes out.

I met with Tim for some length today to discuss the course and my position. I am incredibly excited, though I fear I will fail. My position will be responsible for critical questions, managing the volunteer placements, integration seminars, coordinating the homestays, finding applicable news articles, and leading a few other seminars (including a long stretch while Tim in out of town). I wish I had more prep time before the semester begins an that Ihad met with the other TAs and PDs to find out specifics to their positions. Tim had requested this to HECUA's Director of Operations, who has continoually shown incompetence, or at the very least a disregard of the needs of international staff. His communication leaves much to be desired.

Last night I had dinner at Tim's. It was a good time,I am happy to report. I finally met Tim's partner, Vega (sp??), and their nefarious pup, Selma. A few beers and a fine meal ensured conversation ran smoothly. It is good to connect further with him, he is good company. Vega is a fun person as well, with a contagious laugh. An artist, acryllics but also designs furniture from the sound of it. We talked of meeting next thursday for drinks, I suppose to celebrate the start of the semester, but hey, it will also be my 24th birthday, as an added excuse to celebrate.

I don't think of home as much as I expected.Perhaps because I'm still jet-lag crazy. My mind is on the upcoming semester or attempting sleep. I've only been able to trade a couple of e-mails with Cate. Soon we should be able to talk on the phone. Hopefully I will hav internet next week and be able to skype and write this journal directly onto my PC. I'm a sucker for digital, though there is a certain joy in the "written word." I wonder what old Grundtvig would say.

Ingen kommentarer: